You know how you see a pin on Pinterest and it says “Amazing ____ Recipe” and you TOTALLY pin it to try. Then it tastes awful? So if you found this post because of that, SUCKAAAAAA! OK just kidding, this recipe really is amazing. And it’s not just me that says it—-the challengers in my private 5-Day Healthy Kickstart rave about this when it’s on the mealplan. So if you don’t like it, don’t blame the pin, blame your taste buds 😉
This marinara sauce from the FIXATE cookbook is AWESOME. It is so good that my husband, who is the pickiest eater I know, said, “Hey is this a new tomato sauce? It is really good.” Ask my in laws, he rarely ever compliments food, especially an unsolicited compliment! (he’s sweet in many other ways, I swear).
And the best part? 1/2 cup serving is THREE VEGETABLE servings! Normally with marinara it counts as a beloved purple container—but nope, you can use up your green containers with this!!! Plus it counts as 1/2 teaspoon.
- 2T olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 (6-oz) can tomato paste, no salt added
- 1/4 cup red wine (we use alcohol free wine in our family)
- 2 cans whole peeled tomatoes (crushed or pureed in blender)
- 2T agave nectar
- 1 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 (3oz) parmesan cheese rind
- 3T finely chopped basil
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium high heat
- Add onion and cook for 5-6 minutes (stir frequently)
- Add garlic and tomato paste and cook for 2-3 more minutes (keep on stirring! You want to make sure the tomato paste doesn’t burn)
- Add wine and cook for 2-3 minutes more (you guessed it, keep stirring, are your arms hurting yet?! Ok you can stop)
- Add tomatoes, agave, salt, and pepper and then bring to a boil (OK, stir every once in a while).
- Reduce to low and gently boil for 3 minutes (stir a little here and there)
- Add cheese rind and cook for an hour (come check on it every once in a while and give it a little stir)
- Add basil, mix well, then serve!
This makes about 12 servings. If you don’t eat all of it, don’t forget to freeze it and it can be added to some other amazing recipes! For example, some of these:
Want access to more tasty recipes and meal plans? Join my next private Free 5-Day Healthy Kickstart Group! You’ll get one-on-one online coaching, free workouts, a meal plan, grocery list, and daily tips in a fun, supportive environment. Fill out the form below to register: